Hamilton-based Lawrence Knight completed the transplant of the 350kW 4G63 engine set-up from his previous Evo, which ran a 10.6-second pass on chromies, just before the last South Island Champs. The South Islanders were extremely impressed by the North Islander's pace on the new set-up, as were we.
Lawrence's engine set-up went into this shell after his last vehicle made contact with a wall at Meremere Dragway. Lawrence is a hardcore Evo fan, and one who we could've spoken to for hours about the platform as his knowledge on the topic is vast.
The new build has already run a 10.6-second pass on only 303kW at the wheels and riding on street tyres. Lawrence wasn’t able to crack into the 10s down in Motueka, with a best time of 11.0, but once he attacks the drag strip in the North Island with the high-power setting, things should get interesting. Seeing as his previous PB was 10.6 seconds on chromes, we're excited to see what this more race-orientated platform can do.
1994 Mitsubishi Evo II
- Engine: 4G63, EMS ECU, Garrett GT30/40 turbo, Brian Crower crank, Bosch coils, custom three-inch exhaust system, custom turbo manifold, GFB 50mm external wastegate, Kelford cams, custom intercooler piping, 1260cc injectors, twin Bosch 044 fuel pumps, custom surge tank
- Suspension: Tein Super Streets
- Driveline: Single-plate clutch
- Wheels and tyres:
- Power: 400kW at the wheels
- 0—400m: 10.6-seconds on chrome wheels